Flat Roofs……. When buying a home in New Mexico there is a more than likely chance you will be faced with owning a home with a flat roof. Adobe homes or homes built to look like adobe are going to have a flat roof to stay with the aesthetics of New Mexico. These roofs require their own maintenance plans.
The first thing you should most definitely do is find a professional roofer who you trust and has extensive experience with flat roofs. Having a roofer you trust is important for any home owner as you want someone you can call with any roof emergencies.
Next know the type of roof you have.
There are five generic classifications of low slope roof membranes or systems. Click on a roof system for more information.
- Built-up roof (BUR) membranes
- Metal panel roof systems for low-slope applications
- Polymer-modified bitumen sheet membranes
- Single-ply membranes
- Spray polyurethane foam-based (SPF) roof systems
Most low-slope roof membranes have three principal components:
- Weatherproofing layer or layers — the weatherproofing component is the most important element because it keeps water from entering a roof assembly.
- Reinforcement — reinforcement adds strength, puncture resistance and dimensional stability to a membrane.
- Surfacing — surfacing is the component that protects the weatherproofing and reinforcement from sunlight and weather. Some surfacings provide other benefits such as increased fire resistance, improved traffic and hail resistance, and increased solar reflectivity.
With some roof membranes, a component may perform more than one function.(http://www.everybodyneedsaroof.com/roof-system-types)”
Your roofing professional may have some recommendations as to yearly maintenance.
- Make sure you to remove debris that may have been blown onto the roof, such as leaves, branches, Pine needles and anything else that could clog drains and Scuppers.
- Drains are very important for flat roofs as they prevent standing water.
- Check the flashing for cracked Caulking. Caulking prevents water from being able to penetrate the barriers to insure your roof doesn’t become vulnerable in those areas.
The Most important thing to remember when buying a home is to have a professional inspection done. The inspector will throughly look at the roof and be able to recommend having a professional evaluation done if they feel the roof is not in decent shape. A great Real Estate agent will be able to assist you in connecting you with the professionals to make the right decisions.